Friday, January 29, 2010

Rainbow road








Wouldn't it be wonderful if roads were a rainbow, with multicolored lanes taking us safely to our destinations? Everyone driving safely and respecting the speed limit, giving others the right of way. Everyone greeting, nodding, and waving to each other happily as we pass each other? Well that can only exist in a Disney fairytale. In reality, roads are a war zone, with worn out, cement paved roads, drivers weaving in and out of traffic, speeders flying past you if you are not driving at their convenience. Once they pull up next to you, they flick you off with their middle finger. Lovely, lovely citizens of Florida.

I'm not going to lie and say that I've never done that before. I am also guilty of road rage and not driving safely. But are we going a little over board with us not being patient and caring for others? In December of 2008, I was driving a car that belonged to my boss when suddenly I see that car in front of me aggressively coming to a halt. I almost didn't make it but I safely came to a stop. Not knowing what was about to happen, In a split second, I suddenly felt something massive pushing me into the car in front of me. All because the person that was two cars up decided to make an illegal u-turn causing a 3 car collision. Of course that asshole ran from the scene of the accident and went on about his selfish life.

Haven't you ever wondered if you ever accidentally made a situation like this happen to others? All because of impatience and pure selfishness? Maybe texting and driving? Did you know that a car crash can happen in a fraction of a second? Even today I almost ran a red light because I was looking up a contact on my phone. It just seems like it's so easy for something to go wrong and sadly it's true but we need to be responsible for our actions. A car is a weapon and if you use it the wrong way you will be prosecuted even if it is an accident. I know it's hard since we live on this "give me everything right now" world. And frankly we don't have the time to actually even make a real meal at home. So we rush. Rush because we don't have the time, and so we rush to work, rush to do our errands, and rush down the road.

So what is our solution? Just give yourself time, be patient, think of others, and think of the consequences. Because any little decision can change your life.


Xoxo Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment